Celebrating "50 Years of USM"
"50 Years of USM" Logo
In anticipation of the 2014-15 year of celebration, a committee of current and former faculty and staff, alumni, parents of alumni, and other friends of USM was formed to oversee the design of a visual identity for “50 Years of USM.” The committee’s charge was to oversee the creation of a sophisticated and elegant visual identity that would reflect well upon the School and represent USM’s three immediate predecessor schools.
Following review of more than 30 unique logo designs and revisions over several months, the committee settled on a logo that included:
• the USM nickname;
• a legacy version of the USM campus’ iconic tower, used in a previous School logo;
• laurel leaves, an element which was also used in a previous School logo;
• the names of USM’s three immediate predecessor schools;
• the anniversary and corresponding years being celebrated; and
• the blue (from MUS), gold (from MCDS), and white (from MDS) colors that have been a part of USM since its inception.
The visual identity system for “50 Years of USM” was showcased during the 2014-15 academic year, from August until June.