Science, USM 1 credit; open to students from other schools.
Prerequisite: High School Biology or Biology-Honors
Instructor: Mr. Robert Heun
- Entering grades 10-12 (grade 10 requires instructor's permission)
- Six weeks: June 19-July 26 from 8:15 a.m. to 12 p.m. (closed July 4-5) Note: The first day is Wednesday, June 19.
- April 2020 (review sessions prior to AP exam in May 2020)
- $1,500 (by April 7); $1,600 (after April 17)
- This course prepares students to take the AP Biology exam in May 2020
Course Description: The AP Biology course is designed to offer students a solid foundation in introductory college-level biology and help them to build a conceptual framework for understanding modern biology. The course is structured around four big ideas, enduring understandings, and science practices.Big idea 1:
The process of evolution drives the diversity and unity of life.Big idea 2:
Biological systems utilize free energy and molecular building blocks to grow, to reproduce and to maintain dynamic homeostasis.Big idea 3:
Living systems store, retrieve, transmit, and respond to information essential to life processes.Big idea 4:
Biological systems interact, and these systems and their interactions possess complex properties.
Students will conduct a minimum of eight inquiry-based investigations (two per big idea throughout the course). Additional labs will be conducted to deepen students' conceptual understanding and to reinforce the application of science practices within a hands-on, discovery-based environment.